TV Buying Guide
When you know what TV technology to look for, it's easy to choose the right TV for the video gamer, sports fanatic or movie buff in your life. Check out this helpful guide to make sure the TV you bring home is a treat for even the most demanding entertainment enthusiast.
TVs for the Gamer
- Gaming consoles like the Xbox 360, PS3 or Nintendo Wii need a high-resolution (HD) display to make games look their best. Look for a TV that offers resolutions between 720p and 1080p.
- Today's games move at breakneck speed — will the TV you're about to buy be able to keep up? Shop for a television that has between a two and five millisecond (2ms – 5ms) response time. The lower a TV's response time, the less blur appears on screen when objects move. A low response time makes movies and TV shows look great too.
- TV's can even be great for computer gaming. Look for a television that sports VGA or DVI portsso that it can do double duty as a computer monitor.
TVs for the Sports Fan
- Modern TV, Blu-ray and DVDs provide high-definition digital visuals. To make that digital content look its best, look for a television that offers a 1000:1 contrast ratio. This will allow users to enjoy video boasting rich blacks, bright whites and vibrant colors.
- Thinking about purchasing a surround sound system to go along with your new TV? Make sure it has the audio ports to support it.
- Movies and TV are better when they're shared. To make sure everyone in your living room gets their fair share of the entertainment no matter where they're sitting, look for a TV that provides a wide viewing angle.
TVs for Film Buffs and TV Hounds
- Know someone who can't get enough entertainment? With an Internet-connected TV, you'll be able to enjoy streaming content from providers like Vudu, YouTube, Netflix, Hulu and Vimeo from the comfort of your couch.
- Look for a TV that offers a wide variety of connectivity options. Having multiple HDMI ports, for example, means never having to unhook your Blu-ray Player so that you can plug in your Apple TV.
Refer to this TV Glossary and get one step closer to making a great decision on a new TV.
Used with permission. © 2014 Walmart. All Rights Reserved. See full legal
Important Walmart Disclaimer:
All content provided herein is for educational purposes only. Neither the author nor Walmart.com assumes any responsibility for errors, omissions or contrary interpretation of the subject matter herein. Walmart does not sponsor, recommend or endorse any third party, product, service or information provided on this site.