- Include a traditional lamp, ceiling fixture and another form of accent lighting in every room.
- Colored lampshades easily add cool or warm tones. Shop for lampshades that coordinate with your existing furniture and window coverings.
- Use direction creatively. Aim lighting upward to create the illusion of higher ceilings.
- Use a tall lamp with multiple shades to illuminate a dim corner. Multicolored shades add dimension and warmth.
- Control the mood — install at least one dimmer switch in every room. Dimming light fixtures give off gentle, ambient light.
Use Energy Wisely
As you prepare your home for the changing season, ensure you’re using energy-efficient lighting.
- Every time a bulb runs out, replace it with an energy-efficient fluorescent light bulb.
- Use the minimum wattage needed.
- Don’t overdo it. During the day, take advantage of natural light. At night, only turn on the ones you need.
- Remind your family to turn off lights before leaving the house.
- Use motion detectors on outdoor flood lighting. Look for solar-powered lighting for your deck, garden and yard.
Illuminate Your Guests
Plan for holidays and visitors by keeping your lighting easy-to-use and ambient.
- Light switches should be easy to reach in dark rooms and entrances.
- Use nightlights in all bathrooms. Look for attractive nightlights with motion sensors.
- Place reading lamps on the night stands in your guest bedroom and near your armchairs or couch.
- Use cabinet lighting, recessed lighting and decorative string lights to set the mood for holiday gatherings.
Decorate With Light
Accent lighting instantly transforms dull living spaces.
- Instead of using candles, place small decorative lamps on your bookshelves and in glass cabinets.
- Use lighting in unexpected ways. Try a brightly colored lamp in your kitchen for an inviting evening glow.
- Install cabinet lights — they’ll highlight your favorite figurines and keepsakes.
- Place an ornamental fixture in your bedroom for a touch of romance.
- Shop for a dramatic, eye-catching lamp to brighten up your living room decor.
Important Walmart Disclaimer:
All content provided herein is for educational purposes only. Neither the author nor Walmart.com assumes any responsibility for errors, omissions or contrary interpretation of the subject matter herein. Walmart does not sponsor, recommend or endorse any third party, product, service or information provided on this site.