Interior prep work
- Move furniture out of room or cover it with a drop cloth.
- Remove wall hangings, switch plates, ceiling fixtures (if possible), window latches, doorknobs, etc.
- Use masking tape and plastic sheets to cover objects and surfaces that will not be painted and cannot be moved. Cover the floor with drop cloths.
- Wash the walls from the bottom up to prevent streaking. Rinse with water and a sponge.
- Use drywall compound to fill holes and smooth out rough areas in walls. Once the compound is dry, lightly sand it with fine-grit sandpaper (150 to 200 grit).
- Vacuum up the dust after sanding.
- Paint top to bottom. Start with the ceiling, then the walls and woodwork.
- Paint the ceiling edges with a brush, creating a border about 2" to 3" wide.
- The easiest way to paint a ceiling is with a roller and extension handle. This allows you to stand on the floor while you paint.
- Dip your roller in the paint tray and roll it back and forth on the ridged part of the tray.
- Use diagonal or zigzag strokes to get the paint on the surface. Go back over the area with longer, up and down strokes to even out the surface.
- When the ceiling is dry, start painting the walls. Use a brush to paint corners, ceiling edges and areas adjacent to woodwork.
- Use roller to paint in blocks of roughly 4 x 4 feet. Paint adjacent blocks before each previous block dries to help blend the edges.
- Work from the ceiling down to the baseboards. Do one entire wall or area at a time.
- Paint molding and woodwork with a brush. Use wide masking tape to mask off adjacent areas (e.g., window panes).
- Paint with the grain of the wood. Use short strokes to coat the surface with paint, then use longer, smoother strokes for an even, finished surface.
Important Walmart Disclaimer:
All content provided herein is for educational purposes only. Neither the author nor Walmart.com assumes any responsibility for errors, omissions or contrary interpretation of the subject matter herein. Walmart does not sponsor, recommend or endorse any third party, product, service or information provided on this site.